Pages

10.27.2014

Sunday Assembly of Madison Atheists, Agnostics, and Skeptics

Yesterday (Sunday October 26), my friend Sherry and I went to the Madison Sunday Assembly, a church like gathering of local atheists, agnostics, skeptics, and similarly minded folks. It was like church without God or religion.

They had music and presentations (about astronomy). They had greet thy neighbor and called for donations to help fund the next gathering. There were coffee and snacks afterwards.

It was at a Unitarian church, probably the only kind of church open minded enough to allow such a group to meet there. It was also at a very respectable 3 PM. Although this was probably by necessity so as not to compete with the morning assembly of the Unitarians, it was a good time of day for such a thing.

I spoke with a few people afterwards about contributing music or giving a short talk at a future event. Might be fun. My only issue is my availability. It meets the fourth Sunday of every month (also cool). I will be in Australia when the next one happens and the December one will be too close to Christmas for me to predict my whereabouts right now.

I am curious to know what holiday music they will do. I would guess it would be more secular selections like FROSTY THE SNOWMAN, RUDOLPH THE RNR, and JINGLE BELLS. But maybe someone will cleverly re-write the lyrics to a more religious tune to be more irreverent and fun.

Could that person be me?

No comments:

Post a Comment